UFC announces the return of Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson
UPDATE 12/20 8:23p PT:
Scott Coker, President of the MMA organization 'Rampage' Jackson was most recently fighting for, claims Jackson is still under exclusive contract with them.
Let us be clear that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is under an exclusive contract with #BellatorMMA. We will protect our contractual rights
— Scott Coker (@ScottCoker) December 21, 2014
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (35-11) is returning to the UFC, officials announced Saturday night.
Jackson said he realized that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
"When I left, I thought that the UFC was the worst promotion out there and I thought, 'There's gotta be somebody who will treat me better,' " Jackson told FOX Sports. "[Bellator] treated me well for awhile ... but the UFC is way better than them."
The former UFC light heavyweight champion last fought in the Octagon in Jan. 2013, losing a decision to Glover Teixeira (22-4).
The loss was his third straight in the promotion, and he left publicly disgruntled with the organization. Since that time, Jackson has won three consecutive fights in the Bellator promotion, winning two by stoppage.
Jackson met with UFC officials this week to finalize a new contract. The fighter plans to return to competition in the 205-pound division within the first half of 2015, though no opponent for Jackson has yet been announced.
Just a thought.. But I've learned a big lesson in life and business: sometimes u should just stay with the devil u know @ufc
— Quinton Jackson (@Rampage4real) November 18, 2014
It's the second big announcement by the UFC this month. Just two weeks ago, former WWE star CM Punk signed on, creating a huge buzz — and controversy, since he has no experience in MMA.
UFC president Dana White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta both are on holiday vacations and were not available to comment on Jackson's return to the organization, but UFC officials told FOX Sports that they are excited to have "Rampage" back in the organization and that they look forward to seeing him in the Octagon again, very soon.
Though Jackson's exit from the UFC in 2013 was an ugly affair, with White making public private financial affairs of the fighter and "Rampage" lobbing accusations of impropriety at the promotion, the star last month seemed to suggest that he regretted leaving the UFC. "Just a thought," Jackson posted through his Twitter account on Nov. 17.
After Jackson's Twitter post, White told members of the media that he personally liked the popular fighter, and that he and "Rampage" had a good private relationship. "I like 'Rampage' Jackson," White said.
"'Rampage' and I have a very unique relationship in that all the stuff that goes on publicly, behind the scenes we square away. He's a good dude."