Julián Álvarez Stone-Faced In Atlético Madrid Squad Picture After Blocked Barcelona Move

Julián Alvarez is not happy at Atlético Madrid, and his squad picture shows it.

The 26-year-old was trending on social media on Wednesday after his official headshot for Atlético Madrid's upcoming season was released, and unlike year's past, Alvarez was not smiling — in fact, he looked miserable.

It's no secret that Alvarez wants out of Madrid. However, the club has blocked all offers for its star striker so far, including a report $114 million bid from its LaLiga rivals FC Barcelona.

That's not all. Alvarez was also left out of Atlético Madrid's squad for the LaLiga opener against Malaga on Wednesday.

Coach Diego Simeone said on Tuesday that 26-year-old Álvarez was not in the squad for the match against Malaga at Estadio Metropolitano because he was not yet physically ready.

Simeone said he's still counting on Álvarez for the season. He called him the team's best player and expects him to be available to play in Sunday's league game against Villarreal.

Also not included in the squad was newly signed Argentina defender Cristian "Cuti" Romero and injured striker Alexander Sorloth.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.